Thursday, November 20, 2008

An afternoon in the Austin AmericanStatesman newsroom

Can you imagine how many people are working for "The newspaper of mid-Texas"? What their office looks like on the inside and which departments are located in the newsroom? Since yesterday afternoon, I can.

Because I was too early for my 1 p.m. appointment with my professor that works at the Statesman, I wondered around on the Statesman campus. The enormous trucks intrigued me and the building was overwhelmingly big and white, which made me wonder if the inside looked that crisp and clear too.

After ten minutes I decided to walk to the main entrance and to get into the security department in order to get a guest card, guest card number 11.
While I was waiting on one of the couches at the main entrance I finally felt like I had a role in this new and for me unknown building. The pen of the women sitting next to me stopped working while she needed to write down a phone number. I offered her one of my pens and told her she could keep it. Afterwards we started talking about her career. She worked at the Statesman years ago, in the old Austin American Statesman building downtown.

The shiny black floor and comfortable brown couch gave me a hospitable feeling looking forward to this afternoon. As soon as my professor entered the building with a big smile on his face I knew I was on the right place at the right time. This was going to be an informative and friendly afternoon.

Wondering about the size of both the printing machines and the newsroom I concluded the desks in the newsroom did not look that crisp and clear as the building did from the outside, they looked rather fascinating; notes, papers, pens, cd's, pictures, everything a newsroom needs was there. I enjoyed my time observing, wondering and experiencing things all these different kinds of journalists did during their daily job.

Leaving the newsroom I felt less like an outsider, looking at those inhuman trucks again, wondering if the stories in the newspaper tomorrow will be edited with my good old pen.


No comments: